How much better is a winning weekend! Pies & Rovers it doesn’t get much better than that.
It was good to get the first points of the year on the board and I will take the opposition coach’s ‘good luck in div 2’ as a compliment on how well the boys played on Sunday. I thought despite the score line and a win it was a much improved effort from the boys than the week before. The things we discussed at training were implemented and that resulted in a win.
A big thanks to the Under 13 boys Zack Ziesing & Luke Nixon-Smith who definitely held their own playing up a grade as well as new comer Tim Cowie who allowed us 4 on the bench which I think is so important. Every year of footy requires more running until you get to the AFL and run a marathon a week like Nick Riewoldt (learnt this at the footy Sunday afternoon, runs 4km in the warm up each week).
Things to work at on training this week;
- Forwards structures – we simply didn’t convert well enough on Saturday. We will look at this closely on Wednesday and work out a way that will allow us to convert more forward entries to goals. This includes hit up targets. When a player looks up on the wing he need to have someone to kick it to.
- Goal Kicking – We need to take our opportunities in front of goal, be it set shots or crumbing goals.
- Tackles – Will Garbs laid the perfect tackle in front of the coaches on Sunday. Straight at the hips.
What we improved on into this week’s game;
- Our two way running was brilliant. Sam Flockart & Oscar were the two doing this last year and when asked the questions on Saturday to do the same Harry, Charlie & Hugo stepped up to the plate.
- The Wall – They simply couldn’t get out a lot of the time.
Darcy was fantastic both in his defensive tackling and offensive leading & Tom Pep refused to get caught behind and was competitive all day.
Ben Avni improves every week and took a goal saving mark in that final quarter.
See you Wednesday night at 5pm!