I woke Monday morning wondering if it was all a dream, had the season for the majority of players come to a close? Had the last 17 weeks just been a blur and did I witness some great football along the way along with insurmountable laughs, smiles, bonds forged and lifelong friendships created? I had no time to reflect on what we had all witnessed as I needed to travel to New Zealand. It wasn’t until I stepped on the plane that I took the time to reflect on the season highlights.
I will share a few of my personal favourites, I hope you don’t mind.
- Reentering Girls footy in under 12 & 16 and what a great job everyone did.
- Finalising 3 Under 8 teams and locking in 3 wonderful guys to take the helm.
- Getting the second Under 9 team up and into play with a great Coach and new TM.
- Getting an Under 17 team up 2 weeks prior to the season. We had 5 players 10 days out and now they are favourites for a flag.
- Watching our Under 10 squad always on the improve.
- The under 11 squad always getting behind each other after being lifted from D2 to D1, great reward for some great footy early in the year.
- Finalising the agreement with East Sandringham Zebbies for older age groups Under 15-17. That we worked on for 3 years, now 4.
- Watching the Under 15×2 D1 and 1 x D4 teams find their way and enjoy their footy.
- Tan & Deb’s socials, say no more.
- The commitment and perseverance of our Under 12 D6 and Under 16 D2 teams who struggled for the majority of the year with grading issues.
- Working on the best committee I have witnessed ever, led by Jason Nicholl as President.
- The new sponsors that came on board, cheers Troy.
- The new multimedia approach, thanks Lisa, great job.
- Working with Amy Stokes, no one better.
- Leading a group of coaches that understand what a FAIR GO for ALL means. Coaches that filled the air with empathy, support and technical understanding whilst always knowing that fun and enjoyment must be present at all times.
- Lastly, watching my three sons and their friends at Rovers falling in love with the greatest game on earth all over again and being challenged to improve always.
Around the grounds
Under 10 lightning Carnival was fast and furious. Our lads showed the signs of a long year with injuries and numbers over the last few weeks catching up on them.
Under 11 teams played out the season with D1 going down to Brighton Beach and D5 going on their merry way.
Under 12 Girls had a great win. Div 1 lost to Vamps in a game where the end was nigh and D6 was rolled by a team that should be in D1-2.
Under 13 D1 went down in a close one to St Peters whilst D3 had a great win over South Melbourne, very happy for these lads.
Under 14 went down in a close one, 32-48 to East Malvern, well done lads, tough year, lets reload next year with East Sandy.
Under 15, D1 both lost with Gold going down to Sharks and Blue going down to Vamps, whilst D4 lost to Mordi Brae in a close one, very happy for the D4 lads who had a great season under a terrific coach in Daniel.
Under 16 Girls reversed the tables on the Waverley Hawks from earlier in the season winning 30-19. D1 had a rippa against Northvale singing the songs x 2 whilst the D2 team represented well in a tight one against Bentleigh. Great season by all these ladies and guys.
Under 17s went on their winning way and face off this week in the finals.
LET’S WISH ALL OUR TEAMS PLAYING THIS WEEK IN ALL THE VERY BEST.
Under 11 D5 boys, 1.30pm, Princess Park, Oval 4, Caulfield Bears
Under 12 Girls D3, 10.15am, Highett Reserve, Murrumbeena.
Under 17 D3, 9.00am, Wellington Reserve, Waverley Hawks
PASSION – TEAMWORK – FUN – RESPECT
Have a great week all.