Rovers 3-4-22 Beauy 7-9-51
Goals: Teal (1), Bogue (1), Roberts (1)
The rovers were out the blocks with intent but we soon found ourselves under immense pressure defensively. With the big Beauy full forward up and about with several early shots on goal we needed to move some magnets to help shore up the backline. Whilst the endeavour wasn’t lacking and we were winning our share of contested footy, we were just breaking down across half forward with the well-structured Beauy defence continually intercepting our forward forays. We came into the ¼ time huddle down on the scoreboard, but felt we were up for the contest and just needed a bit a luck to go our way.
The second quarter we engaged in the contest where the majority of the quarter was played between the arcs or in our forward half. With a couple of scoring opportunities going begging we could have easily worked our way back into the contest. When Beauy went deep forward for the first and only time for the quarter and a free kick was plucked that led to another Beauy goal, the lads could have easily drop their heads. Instead they won the next clearance and in the dying seconds of the quarter drove the ball long where a strong mark deep forward was taken, and we posted our 1st first half goal for 3 weeks to break the hoodoo.
The coaches were buoyant at half time with the spirit in which the boys were playing, and were hopeful of working our way back into the contest. Beauy lifted their pressure on us, and as result we started resorting to kicking down the lines to contests where the Beauy talls regained control of the game as they posted a couple of goals for the quarter to stretch the margin. Another late goal put the rovers the back within 3-4 goal margin and optimistically back in contention. The Rovers fought hard in the last quarter but Beauy eventually broke us with 5 minutes on the clock posting another couple of majors. A late free kick led to an after the siren goal for the Rovers and whilst it provided some score board respectability, in the end it was a familiar scoreline with another 5 goal loss to a team likely to figure at the pointy end of the season.
- Big Alex continuing his improvement and development playing a lone hand and 4 quarter effort in the ruck, with some impressive ground ball possessions to advantage
- Lachie provided some zip and quick movement around the ground, and capped off his preparedness to work hard by pushing forward to mark and goal in the second q
- Josh B making the switch from deep full back to forward providing a marking target, capped off by his first goal for the club
- Colby and Paddy working hard between the arcs winning lots of contested footy for their team
- Louis defending strongly both with fist as well as remaining tight on his opponent
- Ted McK converting from key role down the spine to an effective wingman providing an avenue for clearing the ball from our back half
- Arch capping off a big hearted performance with a kick after the siren he reckons was longer than that of his brothers in a famous moment 3 years prior
Things we did well
- Competed well for 4 quarters at the contested footy
- For 80% of the game applied strong pressure and provided defensive resistance (just got exposed on a number of rebounds)
- Took several marked in the dangerous areas on the forward line, which was a significant improvement from recent weeks
Room for Improvement (RFI’s)
- Positioning and movement across the half forward line, and forwards being more accountable for the rebounding defenders who took too many intercept marks
- Equally the Kicks into the forward line need to be better directed to our forwards leading into space, rather than directed to where the defenders are setting up
- Kicks outs – whilst an improvement from recent weeks, we still need to avoid kicking to a contest when within range of their goals , and we need to clear the congestion (e.g. use of the short kick, then quick play on to clear the congestion)
- More use of handball to clear from the stoppage (e.g. chain of handballs if required to get the ball out to a player that has time and space