Rovers 14.11.95 def St Peters 3.3.21
Goals Civitarese (3), Giampa (3), Sedden (3), Eddey (2), Di Pietrantonio (1), McIntosh (1), Petris (1)
Our first home game for the season was at The Boss. The larger ground would benefit the Rovers’ leg speed so the gameplan was focused on running hard to the contest. From the bounce, the Rovers showed commitment in getting the ball, with good decision-making and teamwork. Two quarters of 5-goal football put the Rovers well ahead, exemplified by strong running from the midfielders and dominant forward marking. The second half had the Rovers rotating forward and backs, so everyone could get into the action.
– every player contributed to the win (everyone had at least 1 highlight)
– unselfish play by Josh Eddey in evading the opposition then setting-up Lucas and Ben S for goals
– Matteo goal on the run after working hard to the contest
– Marco and Lucas taking big pack marks and kicking ~half the Rovers’ score
– Oli A breaking thru the lines from halfback
– Monster tackle by Jack G in front of the crowd
– Alex and Oli H working together in stoppages
– James M and Jack C rebounding off halfback when StP threatened in the second half
– Ben S dominating at CHF in first half, and CHB in second
The things we did well
linking handballs from backbone thru midfield
unselfish play and good decision making in hand balling to players in better positions
work ethic in contested ball situations
Room for Improvement’s (RFIs)
Centreline and backs to maintain structure when the ball is inside our 50. Don’t clog the forward line (mids), stay defensive side of opponent (backs).
Surer handling of the wet ball.
This is also an RFI for the coach – get team out on the field earlier to acclimatise.
Also RFI to parents – be there 45 min before game start.
Cleaner kicking to leading player – must kick to our advantage.