Hello Rovers Families,
It was great news on Wednesday to hear that restrictions have been eased and outdoor community sport is back. I can’t wait for Sunday to arrive and have all the kids back playing in the mighty green and gold.
AFL Victoria have spent a significant amount of time liaising with the Victorian Government and Department of Health on guidelines for the return of community-based AFL Football. While it will be great to see the kids back on the park, it will come with some compromises.
Please note that the following restrictions apply for metropolitan Melbourne community sport to this Sunday:
- Competition for seniors and juniors can resume, however with the minimum number of people required to participate and facilitate the activity. This means we will operate with the minimum number of volunteers possible to ensure a safe and active game. This includes players and the nominated volunteers: coaches, umpires, runners, time-keepers, trainer, umpire escort, best and fairest voters, and team manager.
- One parent or guardian can attend (with siblings if required for care). No other parents or guardians can attend, and no additional spectators.
- No access to club rooms or change rooms, except for access to toilets, first aid or essential equipment.
- All people aged 12 years and over to carry a mask and wear if cannot maintain physical distance (including officials in the coach’s box)
- Check-in to the QR code on arrival at any games.
While some may be disappointed in these rules, it is important that we all remember that our main aim is to get the kids out and playing footy this weekend safely. We are hoping that there will be a further easing of restrictions after the school holidays.
Please respect the rules and ensure that only one parent attends the game (including in a volunteer capacity).
Please also remember to follow the ‘get in – play – get out’ principle, so kids should come dressed in their footy gear ready to go, and not linger after the game.
I hope all of our players have a ball out there this Sunday. Two weeks off is sure to put a fire in the belly of all of our players. I can’t wait to hear the stories from our first week back post lockdown!
Passion – Teamwork – Fun – Respect