It’s that special time of year for football. I got the honour of walking across Boss James last Sunday morning as the sun was coming up, ahead of a full day of finals. I was able to reflect on the great year we have had again at Rovers, how lucky we are to have a ground like Boss James (and Castlefield for that matter), and how many friendships we have made and helped make. The day did not disappoint either. Finals football is always different to the home and away season. It’s more personal for the coaches and players. It’s the reward for the hard work, focus and teamwork to get to that point. Finals can also be tough and we saw both highs and lows on Sunday.
The day started out with seven teams making it to the SMJFL 2019 finals series. What a massive achievement for our community minded club!! Well done to all. As the results rolled in throughout the day we certainly had some highs, but also some tough results for some of our teams. We remain proud of each and every one. Congrats to those who managed to get to the Grand Finals this week for U11/12 and the following week for our other age groups. Thanks to everyone who came to support and cheer our kids on. An extra big thank you for the way we presented as a Club over the weekend on and off the field. RESPECT is a big part of our club and there were many examples of this.
At the close of play Sunday we had four teams now in Grand Finals and unfortunately three teams that have now finished for the year. I hope to see you all again next year. The Nicholl household had a little bit more spring in it than usual, having both Josh (U14 D5) and Gabi (U16 D1 as part of the five girls on loan to Zebs) into the Grand Final now – it certainly was the icing on the cake for this outgoing President and very proud parent. Win, lose or draw, I’m proud of all of our kids at Rovers again in season 2019.
This weekend we have a number of club activities that you can help with as part of the Rovers Community.
1. We have three teams playing on Sunday so please make every effort to don some green and gold and get to the games to cheer our teams on.
2. We have finals again at Boss James as an SMJFL host club. Please come down and watch some great games of football. All games will be elimination Preliminary Finals so it promises to be some great football. Buy lots of goodies from the canteen to support the Club.
3. We have our final Home and Away game at Boss James for the Seniors on SATURDAY. Please come down and watch some of our Junior Coaches play in their final game for the year for our Seniors.
4. The last home game for Seniors also means the last home Seniors Lunch. 12 noon for one of the best football lunches around. Em and I are heading down so please book tickets via the website if you want to come along.
5. Volunteers – we need volunteers to help with jobs at the club on Sunday, including BBQ duties and helping throughout the day as we are a host club. Please let me know if you can spare an hour or two throughout the day.
6. Sunday night – win or lose we welcome the Grand Final teams back to Boss James after our host games are finished for the day. Come down and join them from 5.00pm. The bar will also be open from 5.00pm – 8.00pm.
Good luck to all of our teams playing this weekend. I will see you at the grounds and will be cheering you on.
Finally, to all of the Rovers Dad’s – Happy Father’s Day for Sunday. What a better way to celebrate being a Rovers Dad than to spend some time on Sunday at football. Come along!!
Passion, Teamwork, Fun and Respect.